Sports PremiumImproving the provision of PE and sport
The purpose of this grant is to improve the provision of PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles.
Haseltine Funding 2016-2017
At Haseltine we place a big emphasis on sport. We believe it is important for children’s health and wellbeing. We also believe that it’s healthy for the children to be competitive and to be reflective when they lose. Competitive sport develops children’s resilience, which they then apply to all areas of their learning.
The Sport’s Premium contributes to:
- Providing the children with a full time specialist PE teacher.
- Training for all staff.
- Training and support for lunchtime play leaders.
- Specialist support from a Lewisham sports leader.
- Extra curricular sports clubs.
- Providing weekly swimming tuition for children in year 4.
- Providing small group, extra curricular, swimming lessons.
- Providing more sports equipment so we are able to play a wider range of sports and activities.
- The annual swimming gala to celebrate the end of year 4 swimming
We have a broad, balanced and progressive curriculum. New sports have been introduced and new resources purchased (basketball nets, new goal posts, tennis sets). For more information about the PE curriculum please see the curriculum section on our website.
Emphasis on intra and inter-school competitions:
The children play an extensive range of competitive sports across the borough. Team reports can be seen on our website. So far the children have been involved in athletics, netball, basketball and football competitions.
Throughout the year the children take part in 3 timed or measured activity challenges. These are : Speed bounce, Chest push and skipping. The children compete within the school and then the top boy and girl from each year group compete across Sydenham and Forest Hill schools for the best scores, resulting in Gold, Silver and Bronze certificates.
This not only promotes health and fitness but has allowed the school to see marked improvements as children grow through and improve their own skill level.
Children and play leaders have been trained to lead activities and games at lunchtimes so that the majority of the children are involved in physical activity throughout the hour.
Extra Curricular Activities:
Extra curricular clubs include: multi-sports, football, netball, cricket, gymnastics and basketball. Haseltine has its own teams in all of these sports. Engagement is high and there are waiting lists for children to join the clubs.
- There has been a 40% increase in the number of children taking part in sporting activities outside of the school day.
88% of the children take part in activities at lunch times.
- The PE provision in the school day has greatly improved resulting in Haseltine teams winning 92% of the competitive games they play.
- More children are now playing for clubs outside of school through their love of sport
- 9 students in 2016 going onto get a Sports Scholarship at their secondary school